It’s not easy to date when you suffer from depression. You first must take care of yourself, think positive thoughts, be properly medicated and well balanced. So how and when do you tell someone that you suffer from depression?
Well, for starters, never mention depression on the first date, maybe not even the second date! Find the right time once you have decided that this person is important to you.
Here are some tips for dating with depression:
- Exercise. Perhaps your new partner will encourage you by exercising with you. If so, he/she is a keeper.
- Go to therapy. Getting professional help and having someone to talk to who clearly understands what you’re going through is key .
- Write. Keep a journal and write in it everyday if possible. This is a great habit to have so that your negative thoughts and feelings don’t fall on your partner.
- Surround yourself with positive people. I know it can be hard when you’re down and out and have no energy, but it’s important to have a good support system. Choose your friends wisely.
- Eat wholesome foods. By changing your diet to include lots of fruits and vegetables and proper proteins, you are taking care of yourself and putting all chances on your side.
Ideally, you will find a partner who will respect you, support you and encourage your healthy habits. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of. Statistics show that one in four people suffer from depression in Canada. Everyone has their challenges, choose someone who lives with challenges you can deal with.